RVC Juniors Travel Program Competitive volleyball for players ages 12-18
For over 30 years, Richmond Volleyball Club has been committed to providing young athletes the most competitive travel program in the central Virginia area. With 2 dedicated full time staff (plus an office of support staff), over 70 coaches, and 500+ players, RVC Juniors Travel strives to provide opportunities for players at all levels to grow and compete.
Travel Program Information
With the announcement from the Virginia High School League (VHSL) that high school volleyball has been pushed back and will mostly likely play a shortened season beginning mid-February through the beginning of May, we have adjusted our schedule so that RVC teams may begin practicing in September with an adjusted schedule during high school season and resumption in May.
Practices will start early to accommodate fall high school volleyball moving to the spring . Currently, the practices will be done in blocks:
- The first block will begin September 20, 2020 for National and Zonal teams, and October 18, 2020 for State and Regional teams. These practices have been designed by juniors management and will have the travel coaches running their team’s court. Practices will occur 2x week.
- The second block will begin November 29, 2020 for all levels. National and Zonal teams will begin 3 practices per week (State and Regional remaining at 2x week). One of these weekly practices will be a clinic style practice (designed by management staff).
- The third block will begin January 3, 2021 for all levels where teams will practice entirely on their own.
- The fourth block will begin if and when the High School volleyball season is held. During this period (expected mid-February to beginning of May), teams will not practice.
- The fifth block will begin when High School season has concluded and will return to 2 or 3 practices per week (depending on level) and team coaches will run all practices.
Virginia Youth Volleyball League (VYVL)
Designed to be an introductory travel program for girls ages 11-16 who want to make travel teams in the coming years or who simply don’t want to commit the additional time or money to travel. It will give players and parents a small taste of what a full travel team is like. Players must participate in VYVL tryouts in November and are not guaranteed a spot on a team. To learn more, see the Virginia Youth Volleyball League page.
We expect our players to abide by the USA Volleyball Participant Code of Conduct and our parents to abide by the National Youth Sports Safety Foundation Sport Parent Code of Conduct. Both documents , along with a more detailed list of player and parent expectations can be found in our Player Parent Handbook 2020-2021
Tryouts are held on various weekends in September-November. See the Tryouts Page for exact dates.
Robison Fund Athlete Grants
Athlete grants are available through the Roger Robison Fund for players who require financial assistance in order to participate. RVC grants more than $40,000 worth of financial assistance annually to junior players in our travel program, VYVL, Jump Up, Middle School League, Jumpin’ Juniors, and summer camps. This year there will be a rolling deadline with applications accepted until all grants are dispersed. More information can be found on our Financial Aid Program web page.
All Robinson Fund grants have been granted for the 2020-2021 season.
- Online Registration: August 10, 2020 – October 3, 2020
- VIRTUAL Informational Parent Meeting: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 7:00 PM on a Zoom call. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for login information.
- We recommend parents who are new to the RVC Travel program or those with questions about the commitment involved with playing at a higher level attend.
- Pre-Tryout Orientations (pick one date to drop-in) at RVC Byrdhill:
- Saturday, August 29, 2020 drop-in between 12:30 – 2:30 PM
- Sunday, August 30, 2020 drop-in between 12:30 – 2:30 PM
- Saturday, September 19, 2020 drop-in between 12:30 – 2:30 PM
- Sunday, September 27, 2020 drop-in between 12:30 – 2:30 PM
In order to reduce the number of walk-ins requiring office staff assistance, any player that does not attend a pre-tryout orientation and has to come into the office to complete the pre-tryout orientation steps will be charged a $75 fee.
- Robison Fund: Junior Travel Athlete Grants Application Rolling deadline until all grants are dispersed
- Try-outs: September and October – see Try-outs page for exact dates and details
Juniors Programs Staff
Richmond Volleyball Club (RVC) has a ZERO TOLERANCE for abuse and misconduct. This includes not only on-court safety, but also off-court safety in any part of RVC’s programs.
All RVC staff and coaches who work directly with our junior members are SafeSport Certified which means they have been trained to recognize and report all forms of abuse including bullying, harassment, hazing, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual misconduct and abuse. Additionally, all staff have been provided with this information and are required to report observed or suspected abuse.
To find out more about the SafeSport policies Richmond Volleyball Club abides by, and to find resources for athletes, parents, or coaches, visit USA Volleyball SafeSport or The U.S. Center for SafeSport