RVC Juniors Beach Program
2016 GIRLS TRYOUT INFORMATION
- 3:30 – 6pm April 17th at Pouncey Tract Park (4747 Pouncey Tract Road)
- Open to girls ages 18 and under (the youngest age bracket is 14 and under).
- $20 fee ($225 due upon acceptance to team)
- Registration: Download a registration form or register online
2016 BOYS PROGRAM INFORMATION
- 5:30 – 7:30pm May 31 at Pouncey Tract Park (4747 Pouncey Tract Road)
- Open to boys ages 18 and under (the youngest age bracket is 14 and under).
- $155 registration fee
- Boys will practice every Tuesday
- Registration: register online
- Beach volleyball, uniform jersey & sand socks
- Sand court rentals
- 2 practices a week from April 25 – July 25
- Training from top RVC coaches
- Half-off RVC Beach Volleyball Camp with Division 1 Beach Coach, David Fischer. Use coupon code “BEACHTEAM” when registering on-line to receive discount.
PRACTICE DATES AND TIMES FOR GIRLS
- TBD – practice days/times may change after school session ends.
- Practices will be held at Pouncey Tract Park.
- Times are subject to change for reason beyond our control with facilities or weather.
Athletes also have the option to participate in any number of the options that VA Beach, Carolina, or Chesapeake region offer for tournaments to better their game and get more experience. It will be the athletes responsibility to sign up for those tournaments and get a partner. RVC is more than happy to assist anybody in trying to do so.
Teams will be led by coaches Alex Young and Chris Hairston under the direction of RVC’s Junior Development Manager.
Alex Young is a native of Richmond, VA and has been playing and coaching volleyball all across the country over the past 20 years. His volleyball career started while playing for James River High School in Midlothian, VA. He also played for the Richmond Volleyball Club boys national teams from 1995-1999. In college, Alex attended Virginia Tech and played for the men’s team, as well as traveled the region playing grass doubles. After graduate school, Alex moved to Charlottesville and began to take a more active role in coaching volleyball as well as playing on the beach. In 2009, Alex won a major qualifying tournament in the Corona Wide Open Tour, and qualified to play in the US Open of Beach Volleyball at Manhattan Beach, CA. From 2011-2014, Alex was the assistant director and head coach for the Charlottesville Area Volleyball Club, and was the first to create a successful outdoor program in the area. Alex continues to play and enjoy the culture of beach volleyball, having won several pro-am tournaments, and having placed better than 50-75% of the field over multiple years, and still participates in dozens of tournaments a year despite being semi-retired from the Pro-Am circuit.
Chris Hairston is a native of Virginia Beach, VA and has either been playing or coaching volleyball across the country for most of his life. His volleyball career started while playing in the US All Army volleyball team. Afterwards, he played grass and sand doubles from Washington, DC to Washington state. He has played in hundreds of beach tournaments throughout the US as an AA/Open player. Chris worked with TVA from 1999-2002 coaching juniors’ beach camps and clinics. Chris then started the juniors’ beach camps with Volleyball Virginia (in Virginia Beach) in 2002-2005. He has worked with RVC’s junior beach program since 2014 to the present. He has experience working beach events for AVP, AAU, TVA, Bud Light, Jose Cuervo, an Olympic qualifier, Toyota Pro Beach, Mid-Atlantic volleyball, V2 Volleyball Virginia and Northwest volleyball. During these events, he worked as tournament organizer, lead official or clinician. He has been an USA Volleyball member for 25 years. He is still an active player in the Virginia region. Chris is USA Volleyball CAP 2 certified. He has had extensive volleyball referee credentials including: PAVO (college), USA Volleyball Jr National, and AVP Beach. He is in his 3rd year with the beach program at RVC and hopes to pass his love of the sport to today’s youth.
Scott Newton has over 9 years coaching experience with high school and USA junior volleyball programs across the state. Scott mentored with Club 692 South for structure and development of junior sand clubs and studied the ACVA program structure for sand programs. Scott has worked with Division I Beach Volleyball Coach David Fischer in bringing Junior Sand Volleyball Camps to Richmond. Coach Fischer will make a special appearance and work with the team for one week of practice while he is in Richmond.