With a new season comes new opportunities to learn and grow as a program. After listening to feedback from parents, players, and coaches last year, we are pleased to announce some changes to our program. We continue to be committed to providing young athletes the most competitive program in the central Virginia area and believe the changes listed below supports this goal and will benefit players on all our teams. We are excited for what this new season will bring and can’t wait to see all our players back out on the courts with us!
Changes this year
- Our organizational structure has been streamlined. The Juniors Programs Manager will report directly to the Executive Director. This will result in faster decision making. We will also be meeting with coaches more frequently to improve communication and offer increased support.
- Staffing has been increased – a new position to oversee indoor boys travel and juniors beach programs has been added; program assistant support hours have been doubled; and the finance manager’s hours have also been increased. This will allow our Manager and Assistant Managers more time on the courts supporting our coaches and teams.
- No extended tryouts this year. We have listened to your feedback and have eliminated this for the coming season.
- We are recruiting assistant coaches with the goal of having assistants for all travel teams. Please let us know of any potential recruits. If you know someone who knows volleyball but has been nervous about coaching, this is a great way to learn!
- We have switched uniform providers to Endless Pursuit and expect better fulfillment and service. Additionally, an online store is now available on our website for additional purchases such as warm ups, backpacks, and spirit wear.
- We’re expanding our positional training to include other positions, not just setting.
- Athletes must pick a position to try out for this year if they are trying out for 15’s and up. Tryouts will still allow players to showcase all their skills. The position they try out for may not be the one they will play on the team, but we would like to know which spot the athlete feels most comfortable in.
- Tryouts will be three days for girls (other than 12s and 13s). For girls 15 and up, Friday night will be a position specific workout and the weekend will be 2 two-hour sessions. For girls 14s, Friday will be a skills assessment along with their weekend sessions. The boys will remain at two 3-hour sessions. This means boys and girls will spend the same amount of time in front of coaches for their tryout.
- In order to confirm a spot on a team, parents will be asked to respond to an email link and will pay a deposit. This link is only valid for 24 hours.
- Drop in registration’s name has been changed to Pre-Tryout Orientation. We feel the rename more accurately reflects the process involved in signing up and will eliminate confusion. You must register online and then attend a Pre-Tryout Orientation to get your tryout t-shirt, try on sample uniforms, sign a financial contract and medical release, etc.